These peas are certainly a seasonal treat. Savour them fresh while they last! Like sweet corn, they are at their best enjoyed immediately after harvest. Sugar Snap Peas are one of three different types of peas. Shell peas, need to be removed from their pod before eating. Snow Peas are an edible young flat pod with immature peas inside. Sugar Snap Peas have sweet edible pods and peas.
Remove the stem and pull down along the spine of the pod to remove the “stringy” part on the side.
Eat young fresh snap peas raw. Put out a heaping bowl of them for snack or meal time or cut into salads or steaming hot rice for a crunchy rice dish. OR, they can be boiled in a tiny amount of water for 2 to 4 minutes then drizzled with sesame oil and sesame seeds and a squirt of lemon juice . Sautéd in a pan with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Stir fried with onion, mushrooms, or toasted nuts and fresh herbs. Make a fresh pea soup or a Fresh Pea Pod, Broccoli and Rice Salad. So tasty.
FRESH PEA SOUP
- 1 onion chopped, saute in 1 tablespoon olive oil until tender (10 minutes)
- 1 potato chopped
- 3 1/2 cups water or broth (there are some nice broths such as mushroom or pho)
- 1 tsp salt if not using broth
Add to saucepan and cook over medium heat until soft, 15 minutes
- Pint of Sugar Snap Peas or as many peas you have…I have used regular podded peas frozen during mid winter.
Add and cook until bright green. Puree in blender, with immersion blender or food processor. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt. Serve warm. Optional garnish with a dollop of sour cream or plain full-fat yogurt or a sprinkle of fresh dill or parsley.
FRESH PEA POD, BROCCOLI AND RICE SALAD
Great for taking on picnic lunches or tossing in a lunch box for work. I like to make this and eat hot as a side dish with chicken or ribs.
- 1 package or 6 oz long-grain and wild rice (or what rice you choose)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped broccoli, (I like to use stems as well)
- 1 sweet pepper, red, orange or yellow (optional)
- 1/3 cup sliced red or green onion
- 1/4 cup Italian salad dressing (or your own vinegrette with olive oil, vinegar, basil and garlic)
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp lemon pepper (if you have it) or regular pepper
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups edible pea pods, sugar snap peas or snow peas
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
Prepare rice according to package directions. Cool slightly. Steam broccoli until crunchy-tender. Toss with remaining ingredients and refrigerate until cold.
Happy Eating, L.L