This dish is amazingly flavorful, incredibly healthy and loaded with fantastic aroma and spice. It is very high in fiber, and very low in calories. Butternut squash prepared with the skin left on takes on a wonderful nutty flavour. Served over brown rice, it makes a wonderful dinner for those chilly evenings at home.
BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND CAULIFLOWER CURRY
- 1 small bunch of cauliflower florets, lightly steamed
- 1 butternut squash, gutted, unpeeled, chopped into bite sized pieces, lightly steamed
- 1 sweet red pepper, seeded, chopped and lightly steamed
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 drizzle olive oil for sautéing
- 2 teaspoons ginger root, fresh and minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 small bunch of fresh parsley or cilantro chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 cup tomato purée or ground tomatoes or 2 tomatoes seeded and chopped
- 1 cup water
Add the onion and ginger and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is softened, 4–5 minutes. Stir in the salt, pepper, curry powder and cumin and continue to cook, stirring constantly, about 1 minute.
Stir in the tomato purée, coconut milk and water. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Add the butternut squash, cauliflower, pepper and chickpeas. Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. Pour over steamed brown rice. Sprinkle with fresh parsley or cilantro.
This recipe was adapted from Jamie Oliver’s 30 minute meals.