Make a veggie version of this hearty soup by substituting 1/2 cup of dried red lentils and 1 cup of finely chopped mushrooms for the beef. Serves 4 to 6.
This recipe is taken from Fresh, Seasonal Recipes Made With Local Foods
CHILI SOUP WITH SOUR CREAM AND CILANTRO
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lb. ground beef, or stewing beef or steak
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped or 2 Tbsp chopped Lovage leaves
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, blanched, skinned and chopped
- 1 cup red kidney beans, cooked (or other dried bean)
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup sour cream, for garnish
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
Heat olive oil in a stockpot on medium-high heat. Add ground beef and fry until cooked, about 10 minutes. Add onions, celery, carrots, garlic and chili peppers, and cook for 5 to 6 minutes until tender. Stir in tomatoes, beans and tomato paste. Season with chili powder and cumin, then salt and pepper to taste. Pour in the chicken (or vegetable) stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, skim off any foam from the surface, cover and simmer for 30 – 40 minutes.
Ladle soup into warmed soup plates. Top with a good dollop of sour cream and garnish with lots of chopped cilantro.