You’ve got company coming and not sure what to get ready? Why not make a big casserole of scalloped potatoes to go along with a roast of beef, a joint of ham or a succulent chicken and a simple salad? That way the oven is the only piece of equipment needed, doing double duty and saving energy. Creamy scalloped potatoes make an economical yet elegant side dish, fit for special occasions, Sunday dinners and holiday menus.
For dairy free and gluten-free versions of this recipe substitute milk and butter with your favorite dairy-free products like rice milk and use soy cheese. Rice flour works beautifully as a thickener in this recipe.
CREAMY SCALLOPED POTATOES
- 6 peeled, thinly sliced un-peeled scrubbed potatoes
- 1/4 cup cubed butter
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh parsley OR a combination of parsley, thyme and savory
- 2 – 2 1/2 cups milk or rice milk (to cover potatoes)
- 4 tablespoons spelt flour or rice flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese or soy cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika