This time of the year, I love to make special comfort foods for my family. Most of the time it is a savoury dish served from my roasting pan sprinkled with fresh rosemary dug out of the snow and olive oil, or steaming hot from my slow cooker which has been purring all afternoon to a special concoction brewing in my all-day soup pot. Now that may be all well and good, but now and again it is time to indulge in something sweet and spicy to warm the cockles of my heart. I have been on the quest for the healthiest Carrot Cake I can find. I have adjusted this recipe for that very reason. I am looking to make the most healthy, organic and local Carrot Cake around.
LOCAL, ORGANIC, CARROT CAKE
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) organic spelt flour, or whole wheat flour
- 2 level teaspoons (10 mL) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (250 mL) organic brown sugar
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) extra light olive oil
- 3 farm fresh eggs
- 2 1/2 cups organic (big-fat storage, not fresh spring) carrots shredded
- 1/2 cup (175 ml) raisins plumped in hot water for 10 minutes
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) walnut or pecan pieces
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter two cake pans. Blend the flour and baking powder together into a large bowl, then mix in the spices.
Using an electric mixer, mix sugar, oil, and eggs until smooth. Fold in the grated carrots and walnut pieces, then add the dry ingredients until evenly combined.
Spoon the mixture into buttered pans and bake until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean, about 25 – 35 minutes. Allow to cool completely
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 lime
- 1 lemon
- 1 lb (500 mL) cream cheese, light
- 6 tablespoons (90 mL) soft organic butter
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) powdered sugar
Juice the lemon and lime, set aside. Mix cream cheese, butter, and sugar, adding the juice just to the proper icing consistency. Sandwich the cake layers together with 1/3 of the frosting. Mound the remaining frosting on top and smooth down and around the layer cake to cover completely. Serve with love.